Guide Dogs offers a range of life-changing services to people with sight loss, including our My Guide service. As a volunteer sighted guide you will support an individual to achieve their goals, by guiding them safely and confidently to facilities and services in their local area. Full training is provided for our volunteers and out of pocket expenses are paid. This is an opportunity to make a life-changing difference to the life of someone with sight loss who is likely to have lost confidence in going out alone.
There is more detailed information on the Guide Dogs website: www.guidedogs.org.uk and you can apply for a role on the website. For an informal chat or further information, please call the local office on 0345 143 02226.
What does the role involve?
You will be matched to an individual with sight loss who may have similar interests to you. You will have a mutually agreed activity plan which will involve getting together on a regular basis, usually weekly. You may go for a walk, meet for coffee or help with accessing other activities in your local community. You will provide feedback to Guide Dogs staff about how your partnership is going. You will be expected to maintain professional boundaries and adhere to safeguarding procedures.
Location: Your local community / possible travel to support people out of area
What skills or experience are required?
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Patience and flexibility
- Act in a non-judgmental way, without discrimination
What will I get out of it?
- Make a life-changing difference to someone in need in your community
- Opportunity to meet and interact with other Guide dogs’ volunteers
- An opportunity to build experience and knowledge of sight loss
- Build experience and skills while growing your confidence
- Meet people, have fun and be part of your community
- Become a valued and integral part of the Guide Dogs team
- Increasing the independence, dignity and well-being of people living with sight loss through the delivery of the My Guide service
What support / training will I get?
- 1 Day Sighted Guide Training and certificate upon completion of training
- Guide Dogs safeguarding training
- Payment of all out of pocket expenses in line with Guide Dogs policy
- An opportunity to take part in any general Guide Dogs volunteer training that is available
- Support, information, training and resources to enable you to undertake your role safely and effectively
Will I need to do a Disclosure check?
Yes, this role requires that you have an Enhanced Disclosure.