Purpose of role: To support people living with or beyond cancer by making regular visits to them and or telephone calls, offering companionship and a listening ear. To understand the needs of someone who has cancer, offer companionship and reduce isolation with an aim to improve the quality of someone's life.
Duties of role:
- Maintaining contact with clients who are affected by cancer with an aim to improve life quality and reduce isolation.
- To regularly visit the client at a venue of their choosing, or to telephone on a regular basis
- To support the client emotionally.
- To offer support to the client, having the time to listen to people.
- To understand the boundaries of being a Buddy.
- To deal with confidential or sensitive information appropriately and report immediately any safeguarding issues to Project Manager/ Link Worker / Volunteer Co-ordinator.
- To be punctual and ensure notice is given if an appointment cannot be kept.
- To always ensure that your own personal values and opinions are put to one side and to understand the needs of the person affected by cancer.
- To deal with conflict if it arises.
- To maintain professionalism at all times when carrying out duties.
- Good listening and verbal communication skills, provide conversation.
- Reliable, dependable and flexible.
- To have a caring nature and disposition.
- Understand the needs of a person living with cancer.
- Ability to work in isolation yet understand you are part of a wider team